Monday, June 4, 2012

Rainier to Ruston Relay 2012

My first Relay!



The beginning of the day was great.  We had an awesome view of the river and a little of the mountains.  My stomach was full of butterflies due to my first leg being the longest and hardest.  My team " F My Third Leg" is 4 Sonar Chiefs stationed at Bangor Washington Sub base.  I got talked into this by a Ragnar relay veteran. 
Any way back to my first leg.  Leg 2 of the relay  started out on a rocky muddy path that I'm still surprised I didn't break anything.  The trail zig zaged up and down ravines, the mud puddles were 2 feet deep in some areas and the trail was anything but down hill.  I took this leg because I'm an out doorsy type of person and was hoping to see some nice scenery.  Boy was I mistaken, my mind was focused three to four feet in front of me for most of the run.  I found out that many of the puddles were not as deep as the mud .  Once I got to the flat trail was my first encounter of the team "Honey Buckettes".  This girl wearing a flashy red skirt passed me like I was standing still.  That motivated me to pick up the pace a little bit.

Here is my first leg




After the first leg I was soooo thirsty.  And I think that's a smile!  After that run I'm pretty sure I can do anything.

It was time for me to put on my second pair of shoes.


After washing up my legs and putting on some clean and dry socks, we headed down the mountain to the next leg.  I tried to walk and move as much as I could to keep from locking up.  I felt really good and the butterflies were gone.  My second leg was my shortest leg so I was feeling really good.

Here comes Chris to hand off to me for my second leg. 




This was my second leg



The run was nice, wind in the face and great view of the river.  The trail was paved and felt good on the feet compared to the muddy trail I just finished.  Once Again I got passed by the "Honey Buckettes" again.  The likely hood of us beating them looked grim at this point.  She has about a minute faster pace than I did and was impossible to keep up.  Let me remind you that this is my first relay and I have not been running for long.

Leg 10 of the relay was my last leg "F My Third Leg"! 

The trail was sandy muddy wet and the stickers and weeds kept trying to trip me.  This leg definitely has you jumping from side to side to get the trail with the least chance of tripping you.  My team had passed the Honey Buckettes once again and it was up to me to keep the lead...
Yea you guessed it she had passed me up towards the end.  Man she was fast.


Well my legs were complete and surprisingly I still felt great.  I had such a blast running I think I might try this once again.  Thanks to my team mates for finishing.  We would have finished sooner but our third guy got lost in the Port of Tacoma for 30 minutes.  We were driving around frantically trying to find him.  Luckily for us he made it to the exchange and borrowed a phone to let us know he was OK!

I highly recommend this run to anyone that is interested.  I don't run much and I was able to finish without any issues.  It was harder thinking about it than doing it.  Next year I'm taking Leg 2 again!




1 comment:

  1. Love the team shot at the start. Wish we would've done that - good idea. Again, so fun to compete with you guys. And welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete